Diverse projects were named the 46 finalists for this year’s Brick by Brick awards, presented annually by Buffalo Business First and sponsored by Evans Bank and Phillips Lytle LLP.
The Golden Brick, the top prize, will be presented to two projects this year: The M&T Tech Hub in Seneca One Tower and the 201 Ellicott St. building.
All finalists and the winner in each category will be honored on July 28 event.
Brick by Brick honorees represent the best in class in real estate, construction and development here in Western New York,” said John Tebeau, Business First publisher. “These exclusive awards celebrate not only these accomplishments but also the continued progression of Buffalo’s renaissance. This list of award-winning projects proves that the building industries represented here have persevered through the toughest and strangest years yet.
The judges were Jennifer Aiple, executive director, Buffalo Building Owners & Managers Association; Keith Belanger, M&T Bank senior vice president and chairman of Buffalo Place Inc.; Joseph Benedict Jr., executive director, Construction Exchange of Buffalo and WNY Inc.; and Brandye Merriweather, president, Buffalo Urban Development Corp.
The Brick by Brick finalists are:
- Golden Brick: M&T Tech Hub at Seneca One; 201 Ellicott St., Buffalo
- Adaptive Re-Use: Police Apartments; 1275 Delaware Ave., Buffalo
- Collegiate: D’Youville University, HUB Health Professions Building; Heart of the Campus, UB One World Café
- Community Revitalization: Buffalo City Mission; the Crossroads at Genesee; GCASA Detoxification Facility
- Elementary/Middle School: Buffalo Creek Academy School; Persistence Preparatory Academy; Union East Elementary School
- High School/District: Alden Aquatic Center/Alden Vision 20/20; Williamsville Central School District Music Department Projects
- Historic Renovation: 910 Main Street; Pierce Arrow Lofts; Schaefer Malthouse Lofts
- Historic Restoration: Bent’s Opera House; Buffalo History Museum Penfield Portico
- Hospitality/Tourism: Buffalo Niagara International Airport expansion; Founder’s Room renovation at the Buffalo Club; Premier Dog Sports & Event Center LLC
- Infrastructure: Buffalo Blueway Site at the NYSDEC Buffalo River Ohio Street fishing access site; Weidrick Road Bridge replacement over the Genesee River
- Innovation: Aero Instruments & Avionics Inc.; Calspan Dynamic SLED Testing Facility
- Medical Complex: Dr. Siedlecki Cataract & Vision Care; Green Acres Veterinary Clinic; Harlem Road Professional Park/Kaleida Health Urology ASC
- Multi-Residential: Auden Buffalo; Elmwood Crossing: The Pardee; the Apartments at Legacy
- Multi-Residential Affordable: Alberta Place; Westminster Commons
- New Construction: 1585 Hertel Ave., Buffalo; Millrace Commons
- New Office: 6467 Main St., Williamsville; Aither Health; PCI headquarters
- Renovation: Erie County Medical Center exterior; Ingleside Apartments; Musical Suites
- Retail: Hamburg Village Square; Humbert House Restaurant; Northtown Jaguar Land Rover